30.8.08

Spring Clean (in Autumn)

My computer was suffering really bad from having only 3GB left on its HD. So I burned about 6 DVDs of MP3s, torrents, downloaded util setups etc... 6 DVDs!! I freed up about 20 GB, which is awesome, plus while hunting around for DVDs to do the job, I found a spindle with about 25 blanks! And about 50 blank CDRs!! Nice! Then I decided to sort out my domain, its been hanging around for nearly a decade, with one page as the index.htm that I created in about 2002. No matter what I uploaded to the FTP server, the web-site itself still showed this old fecking page. So I WHOIS'd myself, and found out who is hosting it, I faxed them a request for the latest FTP details, and I got a call back within 12 hours - nice!!
The best thing is - I have never paid a penny for this domain! It was a "gift" from when I did a work placement with a web development team. The company had dissolved, and passed on my hosting package, and I never heard a dickie bird. Don't ask, don't get. I could of sorted that out YEARS ago.
I looked around the various folders, and a webstat log told me I had IIS 5.0 installed on there - SWEET! I had just uninstalled Visual Studio 2005 as part of my HD space reaping task, and suddenly I needed it back! Dammit. A quick look on MSDN told me there was a Visual Studio 2008, so I have now torrent'd that and installed it.
I wonder though, does it really need to take up 2.5 GB? And the accompanying "documentation", MDSN Library, another 2GB. And it's not like its improving either. When I installed VS 6.0 years ago, it was only about 1-1.5GB, not including the MSDN install, only because I couldn't find it.
I would love to use Macromedia, or something less commercial, but I love ASP. I am now trying to accustom myself to ASP.net and all the frills. Bore me later.

No comments: